19 October 2020
Cheshire West's Age-Friendly Digital Inclusion group is offering a whole day of online activities to help older residents increase their digital confidence.
The day coordinated by Cheshire Libraries includes keeping in touch with people, attending online events and social groups, finding out what's available in the local area and perhaps gaining a new hobby or interest.
The main activities take place on Wednesday 21 October, during Get Online Week (19 - 25 October). There will be support from OPAL (Older People Active Lives) volunteers on Tuesday 20 and throughout the day itself to help everyone get connected to the activities and answer any queries.
Councillor Louise Gittins, Leader of Cheshire West and Chester Council, said: “The use of digital devices is becoming more common since the start of the pandemic, because we are now unable to mix with others in the way we used to.
“There is no better time that now for our residents who are not confident with being online or how to navigate the digital world to become more experienced.
“The activities we have planned for Get Online Week are a great, informative and fun way to become more acquainted with the internet. We hope that if people take part they will feel much more confident about using the internet more frequently in their own lives.”
For help getting onto the activities call 07923 425239.
- Keep on dancing 10 – 11am: Join Cheshire Dance in a taster session to get you moving
- Coffee and chat 11am – 12pm: Fancy a natter? Join OPAL for some online Elevenses
- Museums@home 12 – 12.30pm: Delve into the wonderful world of museums through 4 short films about their special collections
- Online safety & scams 12.30 – 1.30pm: Cheshire Police will be on hand to guide you through some of the common scams and teach you how to be safe online
- How to Live Well 1.30 – 2pm: Find out how to stay healthy and learn all about the support & opportunities available to you in Cheshire West
- Libraries@home 2 – 2.30pm: In a series of short films, find out about the amazing online library resources, including music, newspapers & eMagazines
- Afternoon tea 3 – 4pm: Another opportunity to meet likeminded people, with OPAL, and have a chat online
- The memory game 3.30 – 4.30pm: Join Virginia in a museum quiz, identifying bygone objects and answering questions posed by residents, to test the memory
- A walk through history 4.30 – 5.30pm: Archivist Lisa is your guide on a journey through Cheshire’s past using fantastic online resources including the Tithe Map website and Cheshire Image Bank
- The Cheshire history quiz 6 – 7pm: How much do you know about where you live? Join in this fun quiz, with facts and photos from Cheshire Archive
- Stay well over winter 6.30 – 7.30pm: Hear from GPs about how to stay well this winter. An interactive live session brought to your home through Cheshire Chat and NHS Cheshire CCG
There's something for everyone and it's easy to join in. For information about the activities or to book or attend an event visit the Live Well Cheshire West website or Libraries' Facebook page @cwaclibrary
Discuss this article
Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).
The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org
The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service. The System Administrators make no guarantee, endorsement and accept no liability, regarding the discussion service above, including, but not limited to, its availability, accuracy, currency, content, quality or lack of objectionable or offensive content.